The Coniston Institute is a community run village hall in the small village of Coniston, Cumbria.
Originally established as a Mechanics’ Institute in the mid 1800’s it was later rebuilt and overseen by John Ruskin.
The new building was built for the then industrial mining village of Coniston. There were facilities such as a bathhouse, kitchen, library, reading room and billiard room as well as an extensive collection of minerals, fossils, pictures and stuffed animals donated by Ruskin & Collingwood. It provided education for all and was designed to give the working classes a fuller and richer life, whilst being instrumental in the education of the workforce in the emerging technologies.
Today, The Institute is a thriving hub of activity with a programme of Live Music, Workshops, and Markets. The rooms can also be hired out for occasions big or small.
There is also a public Library Link and Honest Shop attached to the building.